Tuesday 20 October 2009

Pibroch MacKenzie: The Mull Fiddler (1969)




Pibroch MacKenzie: The Mull Fiddler (Waverley ZLP 2115, 1969)

Alex "Pibroch" MacKenzie played with accordionist Bobby MacLeod, and like MacLeod was from the island of Mull. He recorded at least two solo LPs, and appeared as a guest on many more. This is the only solo album I have, but I will prepare a compilation of bits and pieces of his recordings at a later date. Unfortunately, I know very little about Pibroch MacKenzie, and it would appear that not much is known generally. I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

01 Kirkhill/Dovecote Park/Cock o'the North
02 Tom Bain's Lum/74th's Farewell to Edinburgh
03 All the Airts
04 Blackthorn Stick/Rakes of Kildare/Donnybrook/Father O'Flynn
05 Londonderry Air
06 Conundrum/PM Willie Maclean/Skye Crofters
07 Miss Monaghan/Teetotaller's
08 Atholl & Breadalbane Gathering/Rhodesian regiment
09 Lord Lovat's Lament/The Lovat Scouts
10 Tribute to the Queen
11 Stool of Repentance/Washer Woman
12 Cradle Song
13 Harvest Home/Boys of Bluehill
14 Red, Red Rose/I Lo'e Nae a Laddie/Nut Brown Maiden

Unavailable

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I've recently started getting into West Highland fiddling, and I'd love to hear this one. Unfortunately it seems to have disappeared. Any chance of a re-post?

    Thanks a million.

    R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew his daughter, Annie when she stayed on Saltspring Isl, British Columbia in 1974. I believe she had been living in Ontario prior to that. I would love to catch up with her if anyone knows her wheteabouts.

    ReplyDelete